Cancer + Fertility Preservation
Fertility Specialists of Texas has a team of experienced and compassionate healthcare professionals focused on quickly providing you with the information you need so that you are fully informed of your fertility preservation options prior to cancer treatment. Treatment with chemotherapeutic drugs or radiation may lead to irreversible reproductive failure in some patients. Your oncology or hematology specialist can usually offer guidance on the probability that a specific treatment protocol will result in infertility. Based on the prognosis for future fertility, cancer patients may then elect sperm or egg cryopreservation (egg freezing) to help retain the possibility of pregnancy at a future date. Cryobanking can cause a delay in the start of the cancer therapy of 1-7 days for men and 14-45 days for women. Many options exist for fertility preservation; your cancer diagnosis doesn’t have to ruin your dreams of having children. Our physicians will coordinate with your cancer specialist to determine whether a delay in cancer treatment for purposes of fertility preservation is compatible with your treatment strategy. If you have cancer and are interested in fertility preservation, ask your oncologist to refer you to one of our physicians to discuss the impact of cancer treatment on your fertility.
Hearing you have cancer suddenly changes everything, fortunately we live in a time when cancer is frequently not only treatable, but curable. For women of child-bearing age, future fertility may be of concern. Fertility preservation treatments can help. Ferring Pharmaceuticals and Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy have partnered together to create a solution for providing the necessary fertility medications. A donation from Ferring Pharmaceuticals will allow you to receive specific fertility medications for your fertility preservation treatment at no cost. To qualify for h.e.a.r.t.beat:
- No financial requirements*
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- Diagnosis of cancer
- Cancer treatment has not been initiated
- No recent chemotherapy treatment within prior 6 months
- Oncologist and reproductive endocrinologist determine that fertility preservation treatment is medically appropriate
* Certain restrictions may apply. Federal healthcare program beneficiaries, including but not limited to State Medicaid and State Medicaid managed care recipients, as well as residents of Massachusetts, New Jersey and Arkansas are ineligible for the program. Please Contact Fertility Specialists of Texas if you are interested in applying for this assistance program.
- Fertile Hope – Nonprofit organization with a wide range of fertility resources
- CancerCare.org – National nonprofit organization that provides free, professional support services for anyone affected by cancer
- Young Survival Coalition – Young women united against breast cancer
- ASCO – American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Livestrong Fertility Brochure
If you have recently received a cancer diagnosis, we will see you within 24-48 hours of your diagnosis. Please notify our staff by phone of your diagnosis and we will initiate the process of getting your medical records to facilitate your initial consultation as quickly and efficiently as possible. At Fertility Specialists of Texas, we are pleased to offer our services at a discounted rate for recently diagnosed cancer patients wanting to preserve their fertility for the future. Please ask our billing manager about options and opportunities during your financial consultation.
Programs for Cancer Patients
Free fertility medications for women in partnership with EMD Serono, and provide access to discounted sperm, embryo and egg freezing services through a national network of reproductive clinics and sperm bank partners. Please read the eligibility requirements to determine if you are eligible for the program. Program terms and conditions apply. (Click here for more information.)
Want additional information on discount options? We’re here and ready to help. Please use the contact us form and we’ll follow-up with details.