Fertility preservation can allow you to have a family when you’re ready
More women and men are waiting to become parents. However, female fertility, and to a lesser extent male reproductive potential, decreases over time. Fertility Specialists of Texas offers fertility preservation to help patients enjoy the best of both worlds. When you freeze your eggs, sperm or embryos, you can save your reproductive material now for use later. Our Dallas-Fort Worth fertility center offers the latest options to help you preserve your fertility for any reason.
Should you freeze your eggs, sperm or embryos?
Our Dallas-Fort Worth fertility center always recommends fertility preservation when patients are preparing to undergo certain medical treatments. Some common examples include chemotherapy, radiation and surgery for cancer. However, medical issues aren’t the only reason you might want to preserve your fertility.
- Taking time to focus on your educational or career goals
- Searching for the right partner to be the mother or father of your children
- Focusing on personal goals or hobbies, such as travel
- Preparing for military deployment
We help women and men in these situations freeze eggs, sperm and embryos to use in the future.
How does fertility preservation work?
The technique we use to preserve your fertility varies depending on whether you’re freezing your eggs, sperm or embryos.
- Egg freezing, or oocyte cryopreservation, involves a technique known as vitrification. This flash-freezing technique prevents the formation of damaging ice crystals during freezing. To freeze eggs, you’ll take medications to stimulate egg production and undergo an egg retrieval. Then, our laboratory team will freeze and store your eggs for future use.
- Sperm freezing is a much simpler version of egg freezing. You’ll provide one or more semen samples through masturbation. Then, our team will prepare and freeze your samples so that you and your partner can use them to conceive later.
- Embryo freezing is part of an in vitro fertilization (IVF) You’ll take medication to stimulate your ovaries and undergo egg retrieval before our team fertilizes your eggs with your partner’s sperm in the IVF lab. After fertilization, they’ll freeze and store the resulting embryos for the future.
With fertility preservation, you can freeze your eggs, sperm and embryos for months, years or even decades. When you’re ready to conceive, our team will thaw your reproductive materials for use in an intrauterine insemination (IUI) or IVF cycle.
Contact us if you’d like to learn more about preserving your fertility. Our Dallas-Fort Worth fertility center team would be happy to schedule an appointment to discuss your options.